Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) is now offering unlimited calling and data for Rs. 97 per month for users of Micromax’s 4G VoLTE enabled Bharat phone. Priced at Rs. 2,200, the Bharat 1 phone will support 3G connection as well. “I am glad that BSNL has come with two new schemes. This will not only increase BSNL subscribers but also strengthen their financial position,” Telecom Minister Manoj Sinha said while launching the service. “This is a step to expand the Digital India mission,” he added.
Telecom industry’s latest entrant - Reliance Jio - has launched a low-cost feature phone, ioPhone, which is available for a refundable deposit of Rs. 1,500. Bharti Airtel has also launched a smartphone at Rs. 1,399 in association with Karbonn Mobiles. The offer from BSNL and Micromax seems to be an effect of these affordable phones.
Here are five things that you must know about BSNL-Micromax offer:
1) “We are proud that we are partnering with Micromax, a home grown player on the auspicious occasion of Dhanteras. This will connect the unconnected masses in rural area at very affordable rate,” BSNL Chairman and Managing Director Anupam Shrivastava said, while announcing the agreement with Micromax.
2) Micromax Co-founder Rahul Sharma said that BSNL will provide unlimited calling and data along with free incoming and outgoing calls during roaming, under this partnership.
3) “The phone will cost Rs. 2,200 and its effective price will be cheaper than that of competition in the market,” Mr Sharma said.
4) The Micromax phone also has dual SIM.
5) Mr Shrivastava said that BSNL is in the process of starting 4G services from January 2018.
Meanwhile, ahead of Diwali 2017, BSNL has also announced “50 per cent extra than Full Talk Time” offer on mobile top-ups priced at Rs. 290, Rs. 390 and Rs. 590.